Sunday, June 13, 2010

Puppy Update

The Poodle puppy that I was interested in at The Western PA Humane Society turned out to be a stray that was microchipped.  At least, thats what I'm assuming seeing as how the website now says that they're waiting for the owner to come pick him up and he's not currently available for adoption.
 
My heart positively sank.
 
I started another search last night for Bichons in the area and its just terrible how many of these beautiful dogs end up in puppy mills thus making them unadoptable to people like me who don't already have a dog or really the time and patience to help them with their special needs.  I looked for more shelters in the area and ended up hitting on the Orphans of the Storm shelter in Kittanning.
 
The Boyfriend's brother and fiancee had adopted their Lab, Bailey, from Orphans of the Storm.  If you're not familiar with the Orphans of the Storm program, its what resulted from all the homeless pets and animals caused by Hurricane Katrina.  I'm not sure if some of these dogs are still waiting to be adopted from their ordeal in New Orleans or if Orphans of the Storm has turned into a full out animal shelter but wow... what a fantastic program!! 
 
While I hopelessly poured through the pictures and breeds, I felt a little defeated.  I guess it may turn out to be a 3rd time's the charm thing here because I did find a pretty little poodle mix puppy named Buster.  He's white with brown spots so it may be a poodle/terrier mix but he's super cute.  I'll be calling them tomorrow since they're closed on Sundays.
 
Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. There is also the Animal Rescue League in East Liberty. That's were I got my cat. And sometimes you have to wait for the animal to find you. When I went searching for a kitten I didn't find any. Then one day I happened to go into Petco and the Animal Rescue League was there with kittens. That's when I found my Chai.

    ReplyDelete