Friday, October 29, 2010

Blogging from Washington, DC and the #rally4sanity

Me and the Boyfriend on the DC Metro
...Well almost.

I'm about a 30 minute metro ride north of DC in a suburb called Laurel, MD.  Everyone I know from this area is intent on pointing out that my hotel is in the ghetto.

Listen broskies, ghetto it may be but you can't beat a $35 per night room during Jon Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity and Stephen Colbert's March to Keep Fear Alive.

Which is exactly why I'm here.

I've never been to DC before and the Boyfriend hadn't been since he was a kid.  Coming in a day early was exactly what we needed to take in a bit of sight-seeing and the Pens game at a bar on Pennsylvania Ave called The Pour House.

Too bad the Pens can't generate enough of an offense to actually win a game... if I'm starting to sound cynical about my beloved hockey team, its because I am.  The players on the ice are better than how they're playing and stupid Yinzers keep blaming Fleury... but I digress.

We had a perfect autumn day to explore.  As soon as we got into Laurel, we got cleaned up and headed out.  The DC Metro proved to be quite disorienting to us since neither of us are used to public transit (it also should be mentioned here that our experience with Toronto's TTC was far superior to that of the DC Metro BUT... Metro covers a lot more area and so is quite sufficient for it's purpose.  Canadians are just way friendlier).

Once in DC proper, the Boyfriend and I hit Capitol Hill like a sledge hammer.  It's absolutely breathtaking to actually see in real life these same buildings you always see on MSNBC, CNN and FOX News.  The Capitol Building is positively beautiful.  The grounds in DC are well kept and clean... it's almost as though I really don't mind that my taxes are keeping them so pretty.

Stewart and Colbert have their stage set up at the rear side of the National Mall, right in front of The Capitol Building.  To say its a huge area is to say that grass is green.  While we were checking it out, we overheard a couple other attendees jibber-jabbering about Glenn Beck's rally.

"Well, wait... how many did he have show up?" asked one.

The other replied, "I think about 87,000."

Stewart and Colbert are expecting over 200,000.

If nothing else, this just says to me that normal people are just sick and tired of alarmists.  I can't wait to hear what these speakers are going to say tomorrow between noon and 3pm.  Good gravy!

I had plans to dress up like a devil and carry a sign that said, "HELLO! MY NAME IS GLENN BECK." but due to weather restrictions (IE its going to be 60 degrees so way too cold for this little lady to show up scantily clad) I've ditched that idea and I'll be dressed normally and carrying a sign that reads, "OMG I'M TOTES SCARED :("

Keep fear alive, yo.  Regardless of his political views, Beck's gotta eat too and he does one hell of a job scaring the shit out of my parents.

The (surprisingly few) pictures I took are already up on my Facebook.  More to come tomorrow.  The amount of creativity I'm bound to witness tomorrow is simply incomprehensiblE at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment