Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hockey is Played on Ice, Right?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about hockey.

This entire entry was inspired by a tweet I got from my newest friend @colormefeisty:
@poeticpisces i am beyond stoked that the canes won, but less stoked when i know they're gonna get spanked very soon :(
I just started watching this season, specifically since January when the Penguins were working on sucking hard core. When the franchise outed Michel Therrien and brought in Dan Bylsma as head coach in the middle of the season, my interest was peaked. I started paying closer attention and got hooked in about a period and a half.

It also helped that my hot-as-balls boyfriend took me to a game (which the Pens lost against the Carolina Canes so as pleased as punch as I am that the Canes won tonight, I still hate them. Anyway...) as our 3rd date and tried to explain some of the rules to me (icing still sounds like a bullshit penalty to me but whatever).

Anyway, today I got to see one of two great game 7s and listen to the 3rd period of the other (thank you to Versus for failing miserably on broadcasting the Devils/Canes game).

I am absolutely beside myself that the Capitals are playing against the Penguins for the 2nd round. Ovechkin was able to carry his team to the playoffs but were barely able to beat the Rangers in their series. Now all the Washington fans are screaming about Ovie vs Sid for round 2, like Geno (or the rest of our team) isn't even a factor.

I like how they all just conveniently forget about the rest of their own team. No doubt, Ovechkin's a good player but he's not the best. He's flashy but he didn't score the tie up or the winner tonight. Tonight it was Semin and Fedorov (I believe). Were Caps fans even paying attention? :)

I was... sort of.

The series is going to be smokin' but whats really going to be even hotter is when the Penguins take Ovechkin, Varlamov and Fedorov and send them packing to Arnold Palmer's school of Putting.

Also shame on ESPN! Two NHL game 7s tonight and they lead off with the NBA playoffs? Are you fucking kidding me? What a bunch of assholes.

That about covers this update. Like I said, I don't know anything about hockey but I know that the Canes are going to beat the Bruins and the Pens are going to advance to meet them in Boston over the Capitals.

Sorry Bruins fans, I'm going for the "long shot" here. I definitely think its gonna be Carolina vs Pittsburgh after this is all said and done.

Also, look at this: ThePensBlog <~~~ its the best Pens site ever.

Edit: I got RT'd earlier by a nice hockey fan after listening to Sportcenter's highlights of the Caps/Rangers and Canes/Devils games. Here's what he said:

CouchBurnerRT @poeticpisces: Sportscenter: #Caps 2 win series vs #Pens. I guess I shld apply 4 a job at ESPN since I know nothing abt hockey either. :)
Call Arnold Slick from Turtle Crick! Looks like I'm closer to dead center with my opinion of the upcoming series than I thought I was if fans who actually know whats going on agree with me.

2 comments:

  1. NFL > NBA > MLB > then all the rest. If you want hockey to lead, move to Canada. The NFL draft has higher ratings than the Stanley Cup finals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, Alaska. I missed you! <3

    ReplyDelete