Monday, April 6, 2009

Journal Entry: Today Was a Great Day!

I woke up today at 1pm. I was still feeling a little under the weather having gotten very little sleep and with curlers in my hair. I was very excited! My Boy was totally coming to pick me up in an hour.

Normally, one might expect this to not be a huge deal. I mean, its what couples do... they spend time together. For me, though, it meant liberation! Freedom from the bedsheets that I've been laying (dying) in for the past week.

And oh it was beautiful.

Boy showed up 10 minutes early because he's great. Although I wasn't ready yet, I'd rather him watch me fuss with my hair for 5 minutes instead of me waiting around, wondering where he is for 30. I finally got my hair together so we jumped in his car and headed down to Shadyside to pick up a very specific type of shoe that he'd been wanting.

Following his big purchase, we walked up and down Walnut Street and checked out all the cool little boutiques and stores, I even found a L'Occtaine (it was a big deal because this is Pittsburgh, ok?)! There's a great little store we found called Kards Unlimited. It's sort of a kooky gift, knick-knack store that has everything from Edgar Allen Poe action figures to really super-cool dream journals to pop up sex instruction books and a chalk board coffee table that I had a lot of fun with. Naturally, there's a Starbucks down there too but I restrained myself considering how I've been feeling lately so I was quite proud of myself.

There's also a cool little java house called Cappy's Cafe with green and yellow awning. The only thing wrong with this was that every time I glanced at it, I read Crappy's Cafe. There was a gentleman sitting outside with the most fabulous ascot too... I just wanted to go in and relax for a while.

Boy and I ended up driving around Shadyside for a good hour, enjoying all the different architecture and people/dog watching (apparently its required to have a dog if you live or jog in Shadyside). He's been looking to move out of the shitty North Side for a while so he even picked up a For Rent magazine for future reference. Needless to say, neither of us have spent a ton of time in the area and both of us were really impressed with how trendy it was. We mentioned at the exact same time how much it made us both miss college. Even though neither of us went to school in a place that was quite as hip as Shadyside, it definitely had that "too cool for school" college feel to it (which on a nice spring day was quite refreshing).

We randomly ended up down at the Strip District for about 45 minutes before everything closed down. I almost started haggling with a lady for this neat summer dress I found. She wanted $35 for it. Dude, forget it. I would have paid $20, it was a neat looking dress but I didn't have cash on me anyway so I was sort of bummed. But then everything closed at 4pm, which is total ass!

Boy mentioned that he was burning up and wanted to put on a pair of shorts and start sporting his new kicks. We dropped by his apartment, had some... fun and then realized that the Penguins game was coming on so we needed to think fast for food and a good place to watch the game.

We decided that Bettis' Grille was the place to be, especially because it was like the only thing that was open on the North Shore. Go figure?!

If there was a blemish on my day, this would be it. It wasn't because of the food or the restaurant (both of which were fabulous and I would totally recommend it) but simply because our waitress was actually training a kid named Mike, who was extremely nice, but the waitress was the most obnoxious individual I'd come across in a while... she never even came by to check on us (which was fine because I hated her anyway), she was too busy with the family of 4 at the table next to us whom she spoke with at length (over 45 minutes) about being a vegetarian and how unbelievably difficult it is to be a vegetarian in Pittsburgh and on and on and on and on. I was so elated when that family left in the middle of the 2nd period, I didn't know what to say. If I'd heard this Amber girl say one more time, "Yeah, I don't eat meat," I was going to strangle her. Doesn't she know where she lives?! Yes, its hard to be a vegetarian in Pittsburgh, duh! Shut the fuck up and eat some chili, you idiot.

The game was such a disgrace that Boy and I opted to not stick around to watch the completion of the 3rd period (although, I was pretty proud of Sidney Crosby for getting into a fight!). We decided to go for a nice walk up the Allegheny River instead. To my further excitement, we ran into some ducks along the way so I got to chill with the quack-quacks for a few minutes and watch them splash around (ducks are really fucking cool if you didn't know).

By this time, it was coming up on 7:30pm. Everything in the city was closed since it was Sunday so there was very little other option than to head back home. We did try a quick stop off at the local Barnes & Noble but had just missed them! I was bummed since I was looking forward to a new astrology book and picking up a copy of The Girlfriend's Guide to Hockey (I linked it to prove that its a real book!). I'm quickly finding that I'm going to need The Girlfriend's Guide to Baseball too but I don't think that book's been written yet. :( I might be a lost cause on that one, sorry to my hot-as-balls boyfriend!

We ended up back at my place and watched House reruns on USA until 10:30 or so. Finally, he told me that he was leaving since he has to work tomorrow. Being the total spoiled brat that I am, I was not pleased with this news since I kinda like him... a lot!

He was joking around about calling off tomorrow since its the Pirates first game of the season but he totally won't call off since he's all Mr. Responsible and stuff. I, however, did call off because my temperature went back up almost immediately after he left.

Its just what he does to me, what can I say?

I'm so freaking happy with this dude. There's absolutely nothing about him that I don't like and oh I've been looking for it because I sabotage my relationships really well. He's just everything I ever dreamed Mr. Right would ever be. Its hard not to wait for the other shoe to drop since he's so great but I'm determined to not get in the way of my own happiness. He's very generous and giving and affectionate and wonderful. He's everything I'm not used to.

I'm glad I gave him that second chance back in December. He stood me up on our first "date" and back then I had a very strict "one shot" policy. When he said he was sorry and asked for a raincheck, I believed him and agreed. I'm glad I bent the rules. I guess rules were made to be broken after all.

1 comment: