Thursday, April 9, 2009

Remember, Remember the Fifth of November...

There's a ton of stuff going on in the news recently but with all the killings and pirates and insanity, I'm strangely left with very little to say.

I'm equally shocked at myself because I think being kidnapped by pirates sounds really, really cool. Granted, I have the mental capacity of a 12 year old so my imagination takes me on a story of peg legs, parrots and bottles of rum. In reality, I know these guys are Somali, wearing jeans and toting machine guns. Its much less romantic than Johnny Depp on the Black Pearl.

After work yesterday, I went home with my hot-as-balls boyfriend and watched V for Vendetta. He'd never seen it so I had to make quick work of remedying that. Every time I watch that movie and it gets to the part where Valerie is telling her story, I cry. Every time, without fail!

There's something incredibly powerful about V for Vendetta that I love so very much and yet, I can't put my finger on it... at first glance, its an action film about a mysterious hero standing up against a Hitler-esque government in a fear-ridden society to wreck revenge for what happened to him in one of its concentration-type camps.

But dig a little deeper into the messages of the movie and you'll find an inspiring tale of one individual being able to make the difference for a higher cause. All it takes is one person to voice their opinions and hordes of people can follow them.

There's also the message of control.

I think its this message that speaks so personally to me. When Evey is black bagged and broken down, she learns that even when you have nothing, you still have yourself; that only you can dictate your own strengths, weaknesses, successes and failures. She finds peace in realizing that death means nothing if you've actually lived your life and the only true failure in life is not living it. Evey realizes that she'd given up her power to fear and reclaimed it while she was in captivity. She ended up making the choice to be wide awake, with no fear of the future and in complete control of her life with a desire to actually live and breathe for herself.

Its inspiring, at least for me. The first few times I saw it, it made me extraordinarily aware of the influences around me that I felt were restrictive and counteractive to how I really wanted to live my own life. It inspired me to make the changes I felt necessary to wake up and reclaim my power.

Orlando called me the other night saying he was in a tight spot. Unfortunately, I could 100% relate to the things he was telling me but when I was tried to coach him on how to get through it, he got angry/hurt and hung up. Not one to chase down an argument, I didn't call back. I'm very troubled since it was obviously my failure at communication that caused this but I'm also too proud to try and reach out to him; although I did text him earlier but don't expect to hear back from him any time soon. Whats even more unfortunate is that I don't think I was wrong. I can't have sympathy for someone who won't help themselves. Orlando's got a very secure place in my heart but if he can't stop to recognize the things in his own life that make him miserable and make the necessary changes to improve his own peace of mind, I can't help him. That's something he's got to do on his own. Its a sort of rite of passage... at least it was for me.

I'm still very troubled, though.

In other news: After the movie (and some extracurricular activities), we went to The Melting Pot in Station Square. This was only my 2nd time to the fondue franchise but his first. As it was my suggestion, I warned him how expensive it would be but he said he didn't care and that it was something he'd been wanting to try anyway. If you've ever been to The Melting Pot, you don't need me to tell you how fantastic our meal was and my choices in entrees and cooking styles was such a hit that he's planning on telling his parents that his birthday dinner is going to be at The Melting Pot. I get the feeling that this won't be the last time I go for fondue. Yum!

The Penguins play the Islanders at 7:30pm tonight. I hope the Islanders get trounced, they lost 9 - nothing the other night... what a disgrace LOL! Although, the Pittsburgh Pirates aren't that much better but they have won 2 of their 3 games so far this season! It'd be nice to get a winning season for all 3 of our local sports teams in 1 year...

Why is my throat still sore? I have 2 more days off after today while my hot-as-balls boyfriend has to work. I think I'll take these extra days to keep resting up although for what, I couldn't tell you. I just want to get better already!

In the meantime, I'm going to watch the game and see if I can't get fired up about something to actually write about it. I used to be good and mean and sarcastic and cynical. Being romantically happy has wrecked all that fast. I really adore my Boy but I sort of miss my sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment